6 health benefits of Grapefruit - Learn more about its properties
The grapefruit is a fruit of Asian origin, if widely available in Nigeria with a shape similar to that of an orange, which can easily be confused with grapefruit , only considerably larger, and can weigh up to 2 kilos. It is between 15 and 20 centimeters in diameter and is the largest citrus fruit in existence.
In terms of flavor, grapefruit is less sweet than orange and has a bitterness, besides being sour, but not as much as lemon. The peel may have a greenish yellow or even reddish color, and the pulp shade also varies, being yellow, reddish or even purple.
Do you want to know all the details of production and consumption of this fruit? Then read on!
HOW TO GROW GRAPEFRUIT
The grapefruit is more comfortable in the tropical climate. Although the tree can be planted in colder environments, it is not advisable to plant it in places where the temperature is below 3 ° C, as the grapefruit tree does not support frost and snow, for example.
If you decided to plant grapefruit, the first step is to select the location. Know that the grapefruit tree needs to receive sunlight during most of the year, so choose a very bright space. Also take into account the intensity of the winds, as strong winds may not be good for production.
With regard to the soil, grapefruit grows best in sandy and neutral pH ones. It is a plant that requires a lot of irrigation, so during periods when the climate is dry, do not forget to water it frequently. In fact, the moisture issue is so important that the best time to start planting is during a rainy season.
Cultivation can be started with seeds or seedlings and production takes place once a year. However, you will need a lot of patience, as the grapefruit takes six to eight years to start producing.
The process and requirements are practically the same as for an orange tree plantation. In fact, this is an excellent investment opportunity, as the production cost is low and the selling price is very good. You can also consider that you will be investing in a niche that is still little explored, since national production, for now, is low.
However, if you have plans to do a commercial planting, it is essential to seek the guidance of an agronomist or agricultural technician, as well as to make a good market assessment beforehand.
HEALTH BENEFITS OF GRAPEFRUIT
Grapefruit offers a number of health benefits; due to some properties it has.
1. Help in the immune system - Like orange, grapefruit can work wonders for your immune system, as it is a source of ascorbic acid, the popular vitamin C. Because it is an antioxidant, vitamin C helps to fight the action of free radicals, keeping your body systems healthier. Thus, by consuming grapefruit, you will be preventing cough, fever, flu, colds and colds.
2. Helps to delay aging - In addition, vitamin C has properties that delay aging, reducing the action of free radicals, which cause the well-known signs of age, such as blemishes, wrinkles and sagging.
3.Has many fibers - Another great advantage of grapefruit is in the amount of fiber that the fruit has. Because it is the largest citrus fruit that exists, only the edible part of the grapefruit offers 25% of the daily amount of fiber that our body needs. Ingesting adequate amounts of fiber means good digestion and excellent bowel function.
4. Fat burning help - Are you always looking for foods that can integrate your diet, making it healthier and tastier? So don't miss the chance to add grapefruit to your meals, as the fruit helps in burning fat. This happens because of the presence of an enzyme called carnitine palmitoyl transferase, which is not widely found in other foods. As you know, burning fat is essential for weight loss.
5. Rich in potassium - There's even more. Grapefruit is not only rich in vitamin C and fiber, but also in potassium. Potassium is essential for the health of your bones, so it helps in the absorption of other very important minerals and acts in the prevention of osteoporosis. If the reason for your discomfort is muscle pain, grapefruit is also for you, as it helps to prevent pain, cramps and other muscle problems.
6. Helps fight prostate cancer - Finally, because it is rich in lycopene, reddish grapefruit is important in combating skin diseases and prostate cancer.
However, be very careful! While potassium, calcium and vitamin C are excellent for some people, for others it can be a real poison. Especially for those who have kidney problems and hypotension artery.
WHAT TO DO WITH GRAPEFRUIT?
The grapefruit has a big problem: it is sour. So, if you do not want the recipe to have this taste, you should do the same as you do with the lemon, that is, remove the whitish part, which is not very easy.
Despite the slightly bitter taste, grapefruit can be used to make sweets and cakes, in a very similar way to the process of making sweets and cakes from pineapple and green papaya.
Another very interesting information about grapefruit is that it is a raw material for the extraction of an essential oil used in the perfumery industry. This is especially true of the very pleasant aroma of the fruit and leaves. Certainly you have unknowingly used cosmetics that contain grapefruit in their composition.
So, what did you think of the grapefruit? Do you want to try this fruit so common in neighboring countries? Do not miss the chance to taste all the benefits of this giant orange, and be careful with the contraindications.
One of the most interesting information is that there is the grapefruit soda, which can be found without difficulty in our neighbors Uruguay, Chile and Argentina.
Since the soda didn't reach us, you can make a recipe for grapefruit juice. Try taking it alone or mixed with the flavor of other fruits.